I’ve been slowly cleaning out the education building as most of our seedlings are outside now. I’ve taken all the rest of the seed starting materials including the leftover pro-mix and old flats down to the gardening shed as well. Only the peppers and squash are left inside.
I’ve also moved our new strawberry plants and the onions that were rescued from the garden, back down to the garden. They’re hanging out with the peas here in this picture. They’ll go in next week Tuesday with the rest of the plants.
Today, I weeded and took some more black plastic out of the vegetable garden. There’s an area to the left of our compost demonstration area that has always been an eyesore. It’s always been a mix of mulch, reindeer hay, weeds, and rocks. Today, I tossed the mulch pile and took most of the weeds out of it that had accumulated from last year. I’m also trying to work the reindeer hay into our compost now to get rid of it slowly. I’m hoping to have this area clear and useable in a couple of weeks
In addition to weeding, I hung all of our hand tools for students on the inside door of our new gardening shed. I still need to come up with a system to keep the doors open because they like to close when a gust of wind comes.
Today, the plants were moved to an area of the education building deck that is exposed to direct sunlight for a greater part of the day. I’m hoping to keep them there over the weekend in preparation for the transplant on Tuesday.
After many weeks spent in my apartment, the first flat of seeds I planted this year, has joined its mates at Life Adventure Center. These beets are in great condition (much better than the 2nd flat of beets I planted at LAC). They have joined the rest of the flats in our indoor greenhouse (aka our education building). They seem to be happy.
The peppers have arrived! Well at least I can start to see them. Now peppers require the warmest temperature to germinate. Some say close to 80’. Our education building is usually around 70 or so. No news on the spinach.
Big seedlings in some flats already (cucumbers, peas, broccoli).
Starting an egg carton collection at the office. I’ve heard that the fibrous ones are great for starting seeds. You’ll also find that I may be one of the cheapest (or most resourceful) people you meet. If there is any way that I can avoid buying something new, I will. I always aim to reduce, reuse, and recycle like any good 2nd grader is taught. My flat covers for this seed starting project began their lives as protective sheets for our new chairs at the education building. Saved me loads of money and helped reuse the wasteful plastic.
Now starts the repetition. Water, rotate, and repeat.
We just completed construction on Woodford County’s first LEED-certified building. The original design included a nice sunny nook. After my seed starting mission began, I realized my office (or refrigerator) would not suffice. Luckily, they allowed me to start my seeds in our new, warm building.
During the day, the seeds spent time with their plastic coverings off. I would replace them at night before heading home. Some sprouts had begun to appear already on 3/3.